Before the Session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media).
Start by asking:
- How many social media accounts do you have and why?
- What would that be like if you had to do an interview to get a social networking account?
Play the Twitter video and ask:
- What did you think of that interview?
- How faithfully do you think it resembles the real world of social networking?
- How political are you on your social networking and why
- Why do people seem to get addicted to speaking out with uninformed arrogant opinions?
- If you could change the way people do social networking, what would you do?
Read Matthew 21:1-11, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Ask questions like these:
- How do you think the two disciples felt about going to get a donkey colt?
- What do you you think they understood as the probable significance of this act?
- What does it mean to ride in humbly on a donkey?
- Why did the crowd cry ‘Hosanna” to Jesus?
- What is the significance of the term “Son of David” in this context?
- What do you think of Jesus’ version of political activism and how do you balance that with humility?
- How do we balance the power of God within us with humility?
- At what points in his ministry can you recall Jesus doing that?
- How do we balance caring for what we believe to be injustices in the world with a humble spirit?
- At what points might our inability to cultivate such a humble spirit act against our faith?
- What might we do to be redemptive of good people or ideas that are failing because of their inability to cultivate humility?
Close in prayer.
Writer: Jon Self