Before the Session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media).
Play the Reduce my Body video and ask:
- Why do people make New Year’s resolutions?
- What resolutions have you made this year that you can tell us about?
- Knowing that the most common resolutions revolve around losing weight and making healthy lifestyle choices, when is the best time to make a resolution that you might be able to keep?
- Since we are celebrating a new year, what do you think it is time for you to do with your life?
Play the Symmetry video and ask:.
- What do you think of the wisdom of this video and why?
Read Ecclesiastes 3:1-13, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Ask questions like these:
- Since we call this type of Biblical book “wisdom literature,” what do you think of its wisdom in this case?
- How well known are the words to this passage to you?
- When have you experienced a time of dissatisfaction with life and how did that change your perspective?
- How do you feel about the thought that nothing in life truly changes and why?
- How do you feel about the idea that only God makes things change?
- In what ways might someone find the words of the teacher to be depressed or inspiring (or neither)?
Play the Dear Younger Me music video and ask:
- If you could give any advice to your younger self, what would you say and why?
- What advice would you like to give your future self for the coming year?
- In what ways does your relationship with God define your hopes for the future or inform your past?
- What can you do to help other people remember and plan well for the things God has done, or will be doing for them?
Close in prayer.
Writer: Jon Self