Before the Session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media).
- Note: Based on the media for this session, you will want to prepare your group, if needed, for derogatory language towards people of African American background. In addition, some of the media clips will have harsh language.
- Why would some people think that Reese thought too highly of himself at the beginning of the first clip?
- Why may Reese not have comprehended the burden Jackie Robinson and Branch Rickey were under for standing for what is right?
- In what ways do we become prideful in our work and burdens and forget about others?
- How much do you think Reese gave up to bear Jackie’s burden for a moment?
- In what ways do you think his gesture affected Jackie or the rest of the world?
Read Galatians 6:6-16 , then watch the Bible Background Video.
Ask questions like these:
- What do you think Nikki means about Paul getting all his wisdom in at the end of the letter?
- Why do we so easily fall into the trap of doing what our culture expects of us?
- How does Paul suggest we overcome that?
- In what ways do we know if we are working for the good of all?
- How does only boasting in Christ, as opposed to something else, help anyone?
- Paul’s earliest opponents focused on circumcision and the Jewish Law as a set of extra requirements that someone had to meet in order to truly be Christian. What human-created rules or expectations hold us back enjoying freedom in Christ today?
Play the Why Did You Do This? movie clip and ask:
- What other factors do you think caused Branch Rickey to advocate for Jackie to play for the Dodgers?
- What mistakes have you made or seen made by not standing up for others?
- What can you do in the here and now to make sure such mistakes are not repeated?
- Who, in our day, are most in need of an advocate right now, and why?
- In what ways can your God-given freedom be a light to point others to that same freedom?
- In what ways might it challenge you to be an advocate for others?
Close in prayer.
Writer: Jon Self