Before the Session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the FaithElement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media).
Start by sharing the “2001 A Space Odyssey Opening” and asking:
- How do you feel about this movie opening and why?
- In case you missed the actual movie, what do you think happens in it, based on this opening?
- When someone tells you that you are about to listen to a “majestic” piece of music, what are you expecting and why?
- Why do you think some churches expect “perfection” from their music?
- At what point does “enthusiasm” in our worship matter more than some objective standard of “quality” and why?
Read Psalm 95, then play the Bible Background Video and ask:
- What do you think this psalm means by telling us to “make a joyful noise?”
- Why are joyful noises in god’s presence so important?
- What would cause the psalmist to remind listeners of Exodus 17:2-7, where people questioned God so strongly?
- In what ways does the “sheep” imagery demonstrate a good relationship with God?
- Overall, what expectation does this Psalm indicate that God has for us, and what can we do to live up to that?
Share the “I Want To Be Like You” video clip and ask:
- How do you feel about hearing this classic song done this way?
- If this song can be said to have a “spirit,” what would that be and why?
- What are some expressions of worship you’d like to see reinterpreted and why?
- Why are we sometimes resistant to reframe the ways we worship or even talk about God?
- What are some things in our own experience that affect the way we are able to approach God?
- How do we overcome negative experiences through our faith
- What might we do to reinterpret our experiences of faith in order to better reach others for whom faith is a negative experience?
Close with a prayer.