Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media).
Context (From the Mind Session Page)
Begin by asking:
- Since it’s New Year’s Eve, take a moment to reflect together on what you’ve experienced in the last year. What have you learned about God and about yourself?
- What is the most beautiful thing you’ve seen so far during this Christmas season and what made it so?
- What was the most memorable experience of praise or worship that you have had in this season and why?
- What does the beauty of God’s creation add to your experience of holidays and other special times?
Content (From the Current Session Page)
Read Psalm 148, and watch the Bible Background Video for this session.
- Where have you heard this psalm expressed through music?
- What do you imagine the sharing of this psalm at the start of a worship service to look like and why?
- How can everything that exists praise the Lord?
- How do you feel about the assertion that God will be praised through simple existence, regardless of our input?
- Where do you think the psalm better fits and why: as part of our Christmas celebration or as preparation for the coming new year?
Closure (From the Media Session Page)
Play “The Holly, She Bears a Berry” video and ask:
- What most stood out to you in this video and why?
- To what degree does our exposure to God’s creation lead us to praise the Lord?
- If all things are called to praise the Lord, how does humanity really fit into that?
- Since we know that we’re supposed to praise God, why do we struggle sometimes to truly praise?
- What are some good ways and some not so good ways to praise the Lord?
- What are some new ways you can praise the Lord this year?
Close in prayer.