Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Mind Session Page)
Begin by asking:
- What do you imagine Jesus’ return to be like?
- What are some of the key similarities and differences between the way people generally imagine this event?
- Why do you think these themes are important to us, even though the details may differ?
- In what ways is the ability to wait a sign of a strong faith?
Content (From the Current Session Page)
Read Mark 13:24-37, and watch the Bible Background Video.
- Why do you think this passage is included in Mark’s Gospel?
- Which of the illustrations Jesus used was most compelling to you and why?
- What do you think it means, practically, to keep alert, as Jesus is telling us to do?
- Since Jesus is so clear that “no one knows the day or hour,” why do you think so many people have claimed to know?
- What difference does it make whether or not we know when Jesus will return?
- At what points does this passage provide a sense of hope?
Closure (From the Media Session Page)
Play the Training With Mordo movie clip and continue by asking:
- How do we overcome feeling like there is no hope of our message of loving God and people changing the world?
- Why and how can we continue when hope is such an elusive thing?
- How can we carry our faith like our lives someday may depend on it?
- In what ways does our own struggle to have faith, give messages of love? How does waiting with hope compare to that of the original hearers of Jesus’ words?
- What are some things for which we hope and are waiting on on behalf of others, and what can we do to demonstrate our hope?
Close in prayer for strength to fight on with the hope of Jesus within us.