Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Mind Session Page)
Begin by asking:
- When have you seen God working – or speaking – through a certain person or situation where you didn’t expect to find God?
- Why was it surprising to see God working here?
- Why do you think God often chooses to work outside the normal places we might expect?
Content (From the Current Session Page)
Read Genesis 18:1-15, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Ask questions like these:
- Why do you think this story is such an important part of Abraham’s narrative?
- If God approved of Sarah’s previous attempt to have a child through their slave Hagar, why was this incident necessary?
- Why did Abraham react as he did to his visitors?
- Why would Sarah deny that she was laughing?
- If you look at the whole story, what would you say God was really doing at the point of this passage?
- Where might God be working today (or where do you hope God is working today) in a way that you can’t see yet?
Closure (from the Media Session page)
Share the Veggie Tales: Pizza Angel video and ask:
- What about this video reflects some of the things you go through in real life?
- What are some things that you or someone you know deeply hope for – to the point of obsession – even though they are unlikely to happen?
- How does someone keep trusting God when the promises they believed in are not happening and it seems impossible that they would happen?
- What are some ways to know that, even though things seem bad, they are turning around?
- When is it time to give up and reassess your personal vision and dreams?
- In what ways do such crises of faith and dreams affect the relationship we have with God?
- What can we do to support other people who may be going through such crises?
Close in prayer.