Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Current Session Page)
Share the Feynman video and ask:
- What did you see in this video and what did it bring to mind for you?
- What did this video say about mystery?
- When has something in nature given you a sense of wonder?
- To what degree do natural wonders make you think about scientific discovery or God’s creative power, or maybe both?
Content (From the Mind Session Page)
Read Psalm 8, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Encourage volunteers reread this psalm from different versions of the scripture, if available. Ask:
- How do these different versions help us better understand what the Psalmist is saying?
- How is God glorified in all the earth, even where God’s actual name might not be spoken or understood?
- In what ways do infants – who can’t yet even talk – bring glory to God?
- In today’s world, where many “miracles” are understood through the lens of science, in what ways does new life speak to God’s presence in creation?
- How does the Psalmist respond to God’s glory revealed in creation in verses 3-5?
- Why do you think creation, in all its vastness and variety, is a way God is revealed to people?
- What does it mean to say that we are “a little lower than the angels” (v.5)?
- What responsibilities come with our role as caretakers?
- Why do you think it’s easy for us to forget that our authority over creation comes from a Higher Authority and what happens when we forget this?
Closure (from the Youth Session page)
- Why would God be mindful of us?
- Why do you think God bothered to create us?
Have your group go outside and spend some time just looking around. If you have bad weather, have everyone just look out the window. After a few minutes of silent observation, ask:
- What most stands out to you about what you are viewing and why?
- In what ways is God’s creation of the world and God’s creation of us related?
- What do you think it says about us, as creations, if we don’t adequately care for God’s creation?
- In what ways do you see God’s creation being destroyed by mankind?
- What do you think our role is as Christians in regard to taking care of the world God created?
- How can we live our lives in a pleasing way to God by taking care of this world?
Close this session in prayer.