Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Current Session Page)
Share the Tasty Fish video and ask:
- What are some elements of this video that people might find to be either funny or un-funny and why?
- When have you or someone you know undergone a potentially traumatic event and how did you deal with it?
- In what ways do such events affect our relationship with God and why?
- What kinds of things do we expect of someone who God has gotten through a bad time and why?
Content (From the Mind Session Page)
Read Psalm 116:1-4, 12-19, then watch the Bible Background Video and ask:
- What do you think was going on in the Psalmist’s life that might have prompted this kind of song?
- While it’s easy to look for theology in this psalm – to try to understand God better – focus first on the feelings. What emotions does the Psalmist express?
- Why is gratitude an important part of our growth in faith?
- This isn’t just expression of gratitude in words – how else does the psalmist express his gratitude?
- What is surprising about the depth of promises the psalmist makes (verse 16 for example)?
- Even though it’s not common today to offer one’s life and service to someone else, what does this kind of gesture say about the lengths to which we might express gratitude?
- Why is repayment – even if it’s impossible – considered to be an important part of gratitude?
- Verse 15 has caused controversy in the past, so how do you understand this verse and why?
Closure (from the Media Session page)
Play the Guardian Angel movie clip and ask:
- What type of prayers or vows have you made to God over the years and how have they worked out?
- What have you learned in life about your promises and thanksgiving to God?
- What have you learned about times of turmoil?
- Which person could you better relate to more in that movie clip and why?
- When you lose someone to death, how do you cope?
- What can you learn from the Psalm 116 to help you with that?
- In what ways can our own experiences with times of trouble help someone else?
Close in prayer