Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Current Session Page)
- When have you been “rickrolled” and if you haven’t, what did you know about it before today?
- What other Internet memes have you heard of and how do you feel about this concept?
- Cheesiness aside, what do you think of the message of his classic video?
- At what points have you encountered a similar message in scripture?
Content (From the Media Session Page)
Read Jeremiah 31:1-6, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Ask questions like these:
- What type of love is being described in verses 1-3?
- Who is showing that love; who is receiving it; and what do you think this says about their relationship?
- What past is being spoken about in the later verses of this passage?
- What type of hope is being described?
- Upon what is that hope in difficult times based?
- What has God done to show love and grace upon them?
- Why are the covenant and the restoration of land important to the people?
- Thinking about “grace in work” as Nikki described in the video, what would that look like in today’s world?
Closure (from the Youth Session page)
Play If You Want To and ask:
- In what ways does this song represent the Easter story to you?
- When has someone else showed you grace and how did that change you?
- What are some practical ways though which you can show grace to someone who might not see grace very often?
- Why does God sometimes use us to show grace to someone else and how does God do that?
Encourage the group to listen carefully as you play Every New Day, and consider its meaning in light of Easter, then close this session in prayer.