Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Mind Session Page)
Begin by asking:
- Let’s imagine we were going to organize a “Peace Parade” in our community. Our goal would be to promote peaceful, loving and thoughtful actions toward one another in our community, in our state, nation and world. In broad strokes, now might such a parade look?
- Even if we didn’t make this event specifically about any current event, people would probably assume we were protesting something. In light of current events in the world, what might local political leaders think and why?
- In what ways might local religious leaders; civic groups; military leaders and families; or other groups respond?
Content (From the Youth Session Page)
Read Matthew 21:1-11 and watch the Bible Background Video.
Ask your group:
- What do you think the disciples thought was really going on during this story and why?
- What do you think people were expecting when Jesus rode into town?
- Given what you know about people and how they act, how else could this story have gone and why?
- If Jesus’ ride into town was a subtle form of protest, what do you think he was protesting and why?
- Since it sounds like the whole town was involved in this parade, why did people get caught up in this event, even though they might have had no idea as to what was really going on?
- When have you encountered or heard about people who were engaging in making a quiet statement about the world and how things needed to change?
Closure (from the Media Session page)
- How do we balance the power of God within us with humility?
- At what points in his ministry can you recall Jesus doing that?
- How do we balance caring for what we believe to be injustices in the world with a humble spirit?
- At what points might our inability to cultivate such a humble spirit act against our faith?
- What might we do to be redemptive of good people or ideas that are failing because of their inability to cultivate humility?
Close in prayer