Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Media Session Page)
Start by asking:
- What motivates you to get up every morning and how well, does that work for you?
- How do you think your answer compares to others in society?
- How do you deal with your regrets?
- How do you think others deal with their regrets?
Play the Same Power video and ask:
- In what ways do you feel that a power greater than yourself is there for you?
- How does that change the way you go through life?
- How should that change the way you go through life?
Content (From the Mind Session Page)
Read Romans 8:6-11, then watch the Bible Background Video
Then discuss with the group:
- Looking at the preceding passages, what are the two “laws” Paul is comparing here?
- How would you describe or summarize these two types of relationship to God?
- What was the failing of the “Law” according to Paul, and how did God overcome it?
- What do you think it means to live or walk “according to the flesh” or the Spirit (v.4)? (Note, you might want to look at other translations to get a better idea of what Paul’s talking about.)
- When we base our actions only on the “flesh” – that is, only on things we can discover with our human senses – what is the result according to Paul in verses 6-8?
- What kind of death is Paul talking about here?
- In what ways is this outlook “hostile to God” (v.7)?
- If life according to the flesh only takes into account what we can see and experience here, how is life in the Spirit different?
- What happens to our old human ways of living according to Paul in verses 10-11?
- How, like Christ, have we also died, and if we shared in Jesus’ death in this way, how did we also share in his resurrection (v.11)?
Closure (from the Current Session page)
Share together Brian McLaren’s Twitter Page, encouraging volunteers to share their reactions to some of his posts. (Note: these could be either positive or negative reactions. Be prepared to encourage people to express themselves without getting hostile or “chasing rabbits.”) Ask:
- Which of the tweets you shared most troubled or encouraged you and why?
- In what ways does this site represent or challenge those things you feel to be essential “Christian” values?
- At what points do some of these entries represent the things that Paul was talking about in today’s scripture passage?
- How, practically, might our lives change if we focused more on “walking in the spirit?”
- In what ways might a renewed focus on the life of the spirit affect our society?
Pray together to end the session.