Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Current Session Page)
Share this video on “Black Friday 2016” and ask:
- How do you feel about this video and why?
- What are your feelings about the “shopping culture” that usually occurs throughout the Christmas season and why?
- What do you usually expect from the Advent and Christmastide seasons?
- In what ways does this time of year sometimes fall short or exceed your expectations?
- As you think about the things people are doing and expecting at this time of year, how does the term “Joy” fits in?
Content (From the Mind Session Page)
Read Matthew 11:2-110, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Then ask questions like these:
- What thoughts do you think are going through John’s head when he sent his disciples to ask this question?
- From your own understanding of scripture and the prophets, what do you think John and others were expecting Jesus to do or to be?
- What is John really asking and what will Jesus’ answer mean for John?
- Do you think Jesus’ answer seem to address the question itself… or the intention behind the question and why?
- According to Jesus’ rhetorical questions, what drew people to John in the first place?
- What might Jesus’ answers tell us about John’s questioning and “doubts?”
- What do you think Jesus meant when he said that no one is greater than John, yet the “least in the kingdom” is greater?
Closure (from the Media Session page)
Share the New Normal video and ask:
- How do we adjust to the “new normals” in our life with things that cannot be changed, like John being in prison?
- What would you expect Jesus to do when you are suffering?
- What would you do if diagnosed with a hard to live with disease?
- How do you know that God loves you whether you feel loved by God or not?
- How would your life be if you lived as though you knew you were loved?
- What can we do to help others with the struggles of their lives that cause them to doubt God?
- How can we help others experience a sense of Joy?
Close in prayer