Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Mind Session Page)
Briefly review together the list of 2015 Hallmark Channel Movies and ask:
- What are some common themes that emerge from these sorts of movies?
- Why do you think people are drawn to movies of this sort?
- Why do you think so many people find stories of interpersonal and relationship risks to be so compelling?
- In what ways have such risks shaped your life?
Content (From the Current Session Page)
Read the third and fourth chapters of the Book of Ruth, if time allows. If not, summarize these chapters, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Ask questions like these:
- In what way does this passage show that Ruth and Naomi are vulnerable and take action for security?
- in what ways might it show other motives?
- What might have made it difficult for them to face the reality of their desperate situation?
- What other feelings might have been present as they developed a plan to gain security?
- What do you think we learn of Boaz’ s character from this passage?
- What do you think we learn of our own character from it?
Closure (from the Youth Session page)
Play the Audio Adrenaline song, Be Your Hands and continue by asking these questions:
– In what way is this song about either God’s actions or our actions?
– Why is it so important for God’s people to act and not just sit back and observe?
– In what ways have you witnessed God’s people acting to prevent injustice and bring others to know Christ?
If you still have time, play the Single Good Deed video. Remind the group that a simple act of kindness can change the world and close this session in prayer asking God to help each of us practice kindness and to put our faith into action.