Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Play the “Heart of David” video:
And then ask questions like these:
- What did the video tell you about David’s life?
- What are the best and worst things you know about David’s life?
- What do you think most sets him apart as an historical figure and why?
- In what respects was David most like or unlike you, or the person you want to be?
Read 2 Samuel 11:26-12:15 and watch the Bible Background Video:
Then continue by questions like these:
- What parts of this text are difficult for you?
- Of what modern situation does this story remind you and why?
- In what ways have you been part of a similar story of sin, conviction, and consequences?
- What does it feel like to realize that you have done a wrong, no matter how much you might try to justify yourself?
- Who in your life is most likely to tell you when you’ve stepped over a line and why?
- What difference does it make who calls you on your mistakes and why?
Invite the group to spend another few minutes of silent, private reflection with God. As the group sits in silence guide their thoughts by asking them to consider:
- What, if anything, in your life is a current situation with which you are struggling?
- Where might what you consider to be “sin” be a part of that situation?
- Who might serve as your Nathan for this situation and how might you approach that person?
Spend a couple of minutes resting in God’s presence, listening for God’s response, and asking God’s Spirit call to mind those words to which God might want you to pay attention, then close with a group prayer, seeking God’s presence and guidance, as well as God’s preparing you to be Nathan to someone else who may likewise be struggling.
Download Session Page PDF