Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media).
Context (From the Mind Session Page)
Start by asking:
- What is the most disturbing thing you’ve heard in the news lately and why does it bother you?
- With whom did you first discuss this story and why?
- How many “good news” stories have you heard in the news this week and which was most inspiring to you?
- How many people in your life are you reluctant to discuss current events with and why?
- Why do you think we tend to dwell on darkness when following current events?
Content (From the Current Session Page)
Read 2 Corinthians 4:1-6, and watch the Bible Background Video for this session.
Continue by asking:
- Because Paul was being challenged by some in the church, what kinds of frustrations might he have been experiencing at having to defend himself in a church he started?
- How might you react if you were in a similar situation, and what does this tell us about Paul as a minister?
- Since there is definitely no shortage of avenues people can tap to share “their message of Christ,” what kinds of false teachings may we hear today and how is their message being spread?
- What does Paul mean when he says that those preaching falsely have been blinded, while Christ’s message has been veiled?
- How do you feel about the statement that every generation, in some way or another, feels that the world in which they live is the darkest or at least that it is darker than the world has been in a long time?
- In what ways is this sentiment reflected in this passage of scripture?
Closure (From the Media Session Page)
Play the Mosaic video and ask:
- If you saw the glory of God in the face of Christ this week, what would it look like to you?
- How might it look to other people and why?
- What are some ways in which the glory of God is all around in the form of humanity every day?
- What can you do to allow your eyes to be unveiled and see the face of Christ in fellow human beings this week?
- How can you help people see Christ through you?
Close in prayer.