Before the Session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the FaithElement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media).
Context (From the Conversations Session Page)
Start by reminding the group that Bert started introduced the session with a narrative about circumcision and the people coming to the “promised land,” featuring a reference to Nina Paley – “This Land is Mine” (Some light profanity in the notes). Ask the group:
- In what way is our theology shaped by the idea of Manifest Destiny?
- Why do we tend to gloss over those times when we take things away from others and claim them for ourselves?
- Why is it necessary for this ritual to take place before the Israelites can invade Palestine?
- What is the significance of the narrative not celebrating Passover in the Wilderness?
Content (From the Mind Session Page)
Read Joshua 5:1-12, and watch the Bible Background Video before asking the group:
The content you are trying to access is included in the Faithelement Premium subscription.
If you are already a member, login to access all resources.
Become a member today and get access to the full collection of resources and helps for every session!
Learn about Subscribing