Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Current Session Page)
Share this article about lighting up a room”, reminding the group of the article’s six points:
- Discover your gifts.
- Inject happiness.
- Do it your way.
- See failure as an opportunity.
- Step away from what doesn’t fit anymore.
- Allow yourself to be driven by something bigger than yourself.
- What do you think of this article and why?
- When have you seen someone or something“light up” a room?
- How would you describe the experience of doing this or seeing it done?
- Why do we use the image of light when we talk about this kind of moment?
Content (From the Mind Session Page)
Read Matthew 5:13-20, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Then ask questions like these:
- Who is Jesus speaking to here when he spoke of salt and light (see the beginning of the chapter)?
- To what degree was this originally intended for Christians and/or the church?
- How could Jesus have phrased this differently, and why do you think Jesus chose to say it the way he did?
- What’s the difference between commanding someone to be a certain kind of person, and reminding someone that they already are that kind of person?
- What do you think Jesus is saying about the role of the Law and the Prophets – what we would consider the “Old Testament?”
- Think of today’s many laws that keep our society safe and functioning. When would it be time to “abolish” a certain law?
- When might we consider the requirements of a certain law to be “fulfilled?”
- The Pharisees were famous for keeping up the appearance of following every single little command… and yet Jesus said we must be MORE righteous than them. What was Jesus saying about the relationship between righteousness and the Law?
Closure (from the Media Session page)
Play the #feedthegood video and ask:
- Assuming that not everyone is a dog lover, what are some things that might bring us together with people with whom we disagree?
- How does someone go from being the kind of person that invites arguments to being the kind of person who invites smiles?
- When have you have felt like you were the only salt and/or light around and what did you do?
- What is the difference between being “salt and light” that assertively works to change the world and being “salt and light” that makes everyone’s day a little better?
- How can we keep being the salt and light of the world this week as we try to fulfill God’s will in our daily lives?
Close in prayer.