Before the Session
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Have paper and pens available for everyone in the group.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Read aloud Psalm 122 then play the Bible Background Video.
In today’s session, the group will share their visions of what the church does in the world, and what the church could be.
Give each person in the group some paper and a pen and invite them to make a list that includes all the “ingredients” necessary to be a Christian church that honors Jesus.
Encourage volunteers to share their lists with the group then say: Sometimes the church has been a negative influence in the world. But church at her best is a profoundly good thing. As we do this next portion of the reflection, think about the church at her best. For the next ten minutes or so, I’d like you, as a group, to finish the following sentence in as many ways as you can:
- As long as the church is in the world . . .
Invite volunteers to share their insights with the group, then have a time of group prayer about the church and her work in the world. Offer up praises, thanksgivings, confessions, and petitions.
Writer: Joy Yee