Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Current Session Page)
Review together video for the story of Staff Sgt. Joey Jones and ask:
- How do you feel about this story and why?
- What kinds of things make it possible to spread joy and hope when it seems like there should be none?
- In the video, Sgt. Jones is quoted at saying that “The unfairness of life does not equate to the happy of life.” In what ways have you found this to be true?
- What about your faith makes you the most joyous and hopeful, and why?
Content (From the Mind Session Page)
Read Psalm 122, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Then ask questions like these:
- Why do you think the Psalmist would be so joyful to make this mandatory journey to worship in Jerusalem?
- Worship is not a requirement of the law for us, so why might someone in our times look forward to worship with such joy?
- How might we find new joy in worshiping God?
- What specific things are the pilgrims told to pray for in verses 6-8, and for whose sake do they pray?
- As God’s people, we are citizens of a more permanent kingdom, so why do we still pray and work toward the safety and prosperity of our nation (verse 9)?
- What might this remind us about our role as citizens of the kingdom in the broader world?
Closure (from the Media Session page)
Play the Truman Show video clip and ask:
- When we see darkness in our world, why do some want to save the world while others hide in the shadows?
- What kinds of thing might we see in the light that we may not want to see?
- What is something going on in the world that may be casting a sense of “darkness” over us and why?
- What do you hope God might do about it?
- In what way is the promise of Jesus’ coming, which we celebrate in this season, a source of hope?
- How might we make Jesus’ presence a source of hope for others?
Close in prayer.