Before the Session
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Materials needed: Computer(s), LCD projector, screen.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Read aloud 1 Timothy 1:12-17 then play the Bible Background Video.
The following reflection is meant to encourage the participants to become aware of how they feel and what they currently think about their relationships with God, and to articulate it. The following photos invite contemplation that can go in many directions. Make a space for all the many ways that different people might see and interpret them, according to their personal experiences with God.
Share the “30 Great iPhone Photos that Tell Wonderful Stories” site by projecting it on a large screen. If you don’t have that capability, you might use a computer screen (or computers, if you have a large group), or print out the photos in advance for sharing.
Invite the group to a silent time of reflection as they view the pictures together, scrolling through the thirty pictures slowly (pausing fifteen seconds for each) three times, as follows:
- First view: ask people to look at the pictures and think about their relationship with God (they can focus on what that relationship has been in the past or the present). Give everyone a minute to center on their relationships before showing the pictures. After the first viewing, ask them to silently consider: “Which picture(s) most caught your attention and why?”
Second view: ask people to consider which picture they feel best represents some specific aspect of their past or present relationship with God
Third view: ask people to focus in on the picture that seems to keep their interest and attention the most, in connection with their past or present relationship with God.
Invite people to a personal silent time, guided by the following prompts, pausing two minutes for each:
- Picture in your mind the photo that seemed to be relevant to your relationship with God.
- What about that photo most stands out to you?
- How is that aspect like your relationship with God?
- Share your thoughts/feelings with God
- Listen for a response from God, if any.
- Share your response to God.
- Close the time just resting in the moment.
Invite volunteers to share which picture they chose, and the connection they made between it and their relationship with God. Encourage everyone to listen to each other’s stories without “commenting,” “fixing,” or “advising” anyone, but instead simply receiving what is shared, and keeping the content confidential to this time and place.
Close with prayer
Writer: Joy Yee