Before the Session
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
- Materials needed – pen and pencils
Read Galatians 5:1, 13-25, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Be sure to create a confidential space for people to share. Ask group members to refrain from giving advice, fixing or sharing the content of people’s reflections outside of this group time and space.
Invite people to choose one or more fruits of the spirit to focus on for this activity. Tell them to write the words on their paper, and leave blank space around each word.
Invite people to a time of reflection where they consider all the things that “imprison” these fruits and hinder their expression in their lives. i.e. For example, What are the external and internal things that keep kindness from being a part of your living? Write down these “imprisoning” things all around each pertinent fruit so that they surround it.
Invite people to share their papers with the group
Invite people to look at their own papers and silently pray and ask God to free them from the things that imprison the Spirit’s fruit in their lives. Tell them to simply let the prayer be in two parts (note to leader: give people at least 5-7 minutes for this portion of the reflection):
- Ask God to free you from the imprisoning things.
- Pay attention to the thoughts and feelings that God might bring to your awareness.
- Write the words of the fruit you have focused on, on the back of your paper, leaving space around each word. Close your prayer time by simply resting and looking at this fruit, in that space of “freedom.”
Invite people to share with the group any insights they received during the prayer time.
Close with group prayer.
Writer: Joy Yee