Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Context (From the Current Session Page)
- As you flip through the interruptions of these “picture perfect” moments, why are these so funny?
- If you had to take some pictures that show what love between parents and children looks like in real life, what scenes would you photograph and why?
- The title of today’s study of the text is “Icky, gross love.” When have you experienced the “icky” moments of compassion for someone else?
Content (From the Mind Session Page)
Ask questions like:
- Why do you think Jesus would allow Judas to receive this foot washing, even knowing what was about to happen?
- Jesus wrapped the towel around himself and did the job of a servant. What do you think he was showing his disciples by doing so?
- At the same time, what was he showing the disciples about how he valued them?
- Jesus asks, “do you understand what I have done for you?” in verse 12. What do you think they were thinking about this at the time?
- In what ways might they look back on this night after the events of Good Friday and Easter?
- Peter wants to express this kind of love by following Jesus, but instead Jesus predicts Peter’s denial that night. Why do you think Jesus would tell Peter about this in advance?
- Rather than saying, “love me as I have loved you,” Jesus tells them to “love each other as I have loved you.” Why is this command so extraordinary?
Closure (from the Media Session page)
Play the Live Love video and ask:
- What are your first impressions as you watch this video and why?
- What are some unusual things that you or someone you know have done as acts of service?
- Why do some ways of serving stand out more than others?
- In what ways can this group/church change one person’s story over the next month or so?
- What are some small but practical steps that we can take to change other people’s story by showing love like Jesus did with washing feet?
Close in prayer.