Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Have any selected video or music clips ready to show.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media).
Share with the group the article about the new 3D printed sneakers and ask:
- What is the best use of recycled materials that you have seen?
- What have you purchased that was made from recycled materials?
- What obstacles do the makers of the sneakers have to overcome?
Continue by sharing the Re:Loom web site with the group and ask questions like:
How do you feel about this story of recycling and why?
- What kinds of obstacles do you foresee in this particular venture and how do you think they might be overcome?
Read Psalm 147:12-20, then watch the Bible Background Video.
Ask questions like these:
- What creative activity do you hear in this psalm?
- Nikki says that God “redeems us creatively.” What do you think that means?
- When you think about the ways we pray for God to work in our world, are these the things we expect to happen?
- In what ways do we look for God to strengthen, grant peace, send, give, hurl, or declare?
- In what ways does God’s redemption work like the people who make new things out of the material that others have discarded?
Share the story of Barefoot College ans ask questions like:
– When you think about the ways we hope God will restore and redeem places in our communities, at what point do you think about barefoot solutions?
– What kind of barefoot solutions have you personally experienced and what did you learn from that experience?
– What lessons might be there for the body of Christ in the way people worked together to accomplish the things described here?
– At what points do you see God creating, and redeeming creatively, in your own community, and how might you join in?
Pray together to end the session.
Writer: Erin Robinson Hall