Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Play the Video Clip and ask:
- How much money do you think your favorite actor/actress makes each year?
- How do really rich people run out of money?
- Why would Tori think her dad would not have wanted her to have money troubles?
- What do you think it would it be like to be too famous to get a normal job?
Read aloud Mark 10:7-31 then play the Bible Background Video
Then ask questions like these:
- Re-read Mark 10:21 and describe Jesus’ reaction to the man.
- Before Jesus’ challenge, there is a response of seeing him and loving him. In what ways do you read Jesus’ challenge differently by remembering that it is a response of love?
- Fill in the blank by describing things in our culture: “It is easier for a _______ to _________ than for someone who is rich to let go of _________.”
- What makes you believe this sentence, as you have reframed it?
- Why do you think that Christianity, like so many of the world’s major religions, views attachment to possessions as a major obstacle to faith?
- How might we overcome our cultural focus on consumption and ownership to offer other people the chance to follow Jesus?
Listen together to “I Am Jack’s Smirking Revenge” and ask:
- What do you think that the song means by saying “you are not the contents of your wallet?”
- On what or who do you think you might tend to spend too much of your attention and why?
- How would you answer Nikki’s last question, “If Jesus were with you today, and he looked at you and loved you, what would he tell you was the one thing you are lacking?”
- The song offers hope for those who should change their mind about their approach to faith, how might you change your mind, or someone else’s, about the things they think are important?
Close this session in prayer that your mind can be sufficiently changed to take Jesus up on his invitation.