Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Have any selected video or music clips ready to show
- Encourage your group to listen to the Faithelement podcast ahead of the next session (Share the link via email or social media)
Begin the session by asking this question:
Even though we know we should not, what are some things that we put our faith in besides God? Let the group give answers but make sure you hear money, finances or something like that then ask something like: “Why is money so tempting to place our trust in?”
Play the “Radioactive Money” video.
Ask: “So what would you do if all your money was radioactive or worthless to you?
Read aloud today’s focal passage, Ephesians 1:1-14, and watch the Bible Background Video.
Lead a discussion of the text with the following suggestions:
- Do you feel blessed with every spiritual blessing? Why is that so hard for us as followers of Jesus?
- What does chosen or special mean to you in terms of relationship with God?
- Do you feel chosen or special? What would make you feel special or chosen?
- Is it reassuring that we access to all mysteries and God’s will? What can we do to remember that each day?
Do you feel the enjoyment of the inheritance of the Holy Spirit or would you prefer a trip around the world?
Play the “Free Trip” video.
Then ask questions like these:
- How lazy is that to avoid paying to have a name changed on a ticket?
- Can you believe people are interested in going with this man?
- How can we feel like someone who has an inheritance greater than a free trip?
- What voices are holding people back from enjoying the joy of their salvation?
Continue the conversation:
- Do you ever feel like an inner voice of doubt is speaking directly to you?
Play the “Chatterbox” video.
Then continue the discussion using questions like these:
- Where do our negative thoughts come from? Why do they greet us every morning?
- Could it mean that we are valuable in Christ and evil is trying to slow us down?
- What would it look like if you punched the doubts in your life right in the face? Do you know God has equipped you win the battle over your doubts on a daily basis?
- How can we embrace our heavenly inheritance in the face of doubts and fear of daily life?
Close in prayer thanking God for our inheritance and strength to fight the daily battles.
Writer: Jon Self