Before the Session
Facilitator: In advance of the session
- Review today’s scripture text and the session activities to help better facilitate the discussion.
- Have the Bible Background Video ready to view.
- Listen to the Faithelement podcast for this session
- Use the social media prompts on this session’s webpage to help youth begin engaging the session them ahead of their gathering.
Build interest in the session theme by showing this video. It contains three segments, each humorously showing the benefits of working together.
After viewing, ask questions like these:
- What was the message these videos were trying to give?
- Do you think it’s a true message or just something silly in these videos? Why?
- What are places in your experience where you work together to accomplish something? (sports teams, youth group projects,clubs, etc.)
- These videos not only showed the value of working together, but they were protecting each other. Do you find that there is protection in groups? How do the groups you are part of take care of each other?
Ask questions like:
– Have any of you ever helped sail a boat? What was that like?
– Have any of you ever been on the water during a storm? What was it like?
The Psalm is a hymn expressing praise and thanksgiving to God for saving the sailors from a terrible situation.
- When the storm came upon their boat, what are the thoughts that likely went through their heads? What did they feel?
- We may not face danger while sailing in stormy seas, but we do face experiences that cause us to fear for our safety. What are times in your life where you have felt such fear?
- We seldom (thankfully) face life or death situations where we need rescuing, but there are people and places in our world where people fear for their lives and safety. What are examples of these situations?
The sailors together were rescued from the storm by God. Together they gave God praise and thanks for the rescue.
Working together can create amazing things, even if it doesn’t always happen the way we expect. God can use us in ways that go beyond our expectations and imagination.
Show the video of auto parts working together to do amazing things.
After viewing, ask:
- What did you see happen in this video? What made it interesting?
- What do you expect auto parts to be used for?
- How is this video like or unlike how God can use us — together — in ways we don’t expect? Can we be part of God’s work in rescuing those who live in fear and facing danger?
Read again Psalm 107:28-31:
28 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
and he brought them out from their distress;
29 he made the storm be still,
and the waves of the sea were hushed.
30 Then they were glad because they had quiet,
and he brought them to their desired haven.
31 Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love,
for his wonderful works to humankind.
Lead a time of prayer, giving thanks to God for the times God has brought us through perils in life, and asking God to use us in rescuing others in our community and world.